Next month's roster of activities at East County Regional Library offers topics for all ages. The following activities are free to the public:
- Book Discussion: Karen Armstrong's "The Spiral Staircase: My Climb Out of Darkness" - 3:30 p.m., Monday, Sept. 14. The East County Book Discussion Group is open to all.
- PC Photo Basics, 3 p.m., Thursday, Sept.17 - Learn digital camera basics with special attention to playback and moving pictures from your camera to a PC. You'll also learn about basic picture storage and organization using Google's Picasa program.
- Meet the Author: Nancy Koerner? - 3 p.m., Monday, Sept. 21. Join the author of "Belize Survivor" as she tells her true story of domestic violence set against the backdrop of the tropical splendor of Belize. Sponsored by the Friends of East County Regional Library.
- Family Storytime - 7 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29. This program is for the whole family and lasts about 30 minutes.
- Toddler Storytime - 10 a.m., Wednesdays, Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30; and 10 a.m., Thursdays, Sept. 3, 10, 17 and 24. Children 2 years old and their caregivers participate in song, fingerplays and short stories. The success of this age group depends on adult participation and encouragement. Toddler storytime lasts approximately 30 minutes.
- English-Spanish Family Storytime - 2 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 5. Enjoy a special storytime in English and Spanish with family and friends.
- Baby-Parent Rhyme Time - 10 a.m., Monday, Sept. 14. Be prepared to tickle, jump and fly with your baby! These rhymes and songs are for infants, up to 24 months, accompanied by an adult. This 20-minute program is filled with songs designed to introduce rhyming and movement to infants.
- Preschool Storytime - 11 a.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30; and 11 a.m., Thursdays, September 3, 10, 17 and 24. Preschoolers (ages 3 to 5) attend this storytime independently while parents or caregivers wait nearby in the library building. This storytime includes activities that require more participation and a longer attention span. Each preschool storytime lasts about 30 minutes.
- Wii Gaming! - 3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 12. Play tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing on the big screen! Use the Wii remote controller to mimic the actions of swinging a racket, bat or club, roll a ball down an alley or bring the left jab. Players can use their own Mii caricatures in the game and play them against their friends' Miis for a more personalized experience. As players improve, their Miis' skill levels will increase, so that they can see exactly how much better they've become. People of all skill levels can pick up and play any of the games in the unprecedented Wii Sports game! Sponsored by Friend of the East County Regional Library.
- R.E.A.D. Program Reading to Dogs - 11 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 26. Independent readers can practice reading in a fun way! Tucker, the Reading Education Assistance Dog, will be on hand to listen to you read. He's a great listener! This pet pal is available to kids of all ages. First come, first served.
- Kids Read Down Fines - 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30. Do you have library fines? Take care of them by reading! Children and teens can earn a $2 coupon for every 15 minutes of reading during the allotted time in the designated area of the library. For ages 18 and younger. Registration is required.
- East County Anime Club - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 1. Join a group of teens with an interest in anime, manga and other aspects of Japanese culture. Snacks provided by the Friends of the East County Regional Library. Registration is required.
- East County Poetry Club & Open Mic Night! - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 8. Teens are invited to express themselves creatively at our open Mic Forum. Share your favorite or original poetry, story excerpt, song, performance art, or stand up comedy with your peers. Snacks provided by the Friends of the East County Regional Library. Registration is required.
- Cigar Box Craft - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 15. Gather up your favorite photos and create a personalized keepsake box utilizing mixed media elements of collage. Cigar boxes, magazines, newspapers, colored pencils and paints will be provided. Registration is required.
- Chess Anyone? - 7 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 15. Rise to the chess challenge and join the fun. Everyone is welcome. Bring a personal chess set, if preferred. Sponsored by Friends of the East County Regional Library. Registration is required.
- Wii Guitar Hero World Tour! - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 22. Fire up the fretboard, crank up the amp and get ready to rock like never before. Guitar Hero World Tour drops you into the spotlight of the largest and most legendary rock concert ever. Now drop that air guitar, tune your exclusive new Les Paul Guitar Controller and shred the night away with Wii Guitar Hero World Tour. Registration is required.
- Pizza and Books - 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29. Stop by the library with a favorite book, or one that you've read recently. Share what you liked, or disliked with others, and enjoy pizza in the East County Regional Library's Meeting Room. Sponsored by the Friends of the East County Regional Library. Registration is required.
The East County Regional Library is located at 881 Gunnery Road in Lehigh Acres. For more information about a program or to register, please call the library at (239) 533-4200.