The downtown River District's popular monthly art event continues in September with new art exhibits.
The next Fort Myers Art Walk will be Friday, Sept. 3 from 6 to 10 p.m. The September Art Walk will include more than a dozen art stops and will feature new art shows, live music and the traditional after party.
Several galleries and businesses will be open for an additional Saturday daytime reception from noon to 4 p.m. on Sept. 4.
Nearly 40 participants make Art Walk happen and they include the Alliance for the Arts, Art League of Fort Myers, Art of the Olympians, Arts for ACT Gallery and Boutique, Browtopia, Caf Matisse, Cigar Bar, Coloring The World, Conch Sweet Corner Caf, daas Gallery, Delicious Things, Digital Data Destruction, Downtown House of Pizza, Enjewel, First United Methodist Church, Florida Repertory Theatre, Fort Myers Redevelopment Agency, French Connection, Happenings A&E Magazine, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hideaway Sports Bar, Hotel Indigo, HOWL Gallery, Ichiban Japanese & Chinese Restaurant, IberiaBank, Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites, Market America Realty & Investments, Morgan House Restaurant, The Oasis Luxury Condos, Potomac Bead Company, Red Rock Saloon, River District Alliance, Rossy Fashion Accessories, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Select Transportation, SKS PhotoShoot, Space 39 Gallery, Spirits of Bacch us, Starbucks Coffee, Twisted Vine Bistro, The Veranda Restaurant, What's Up Dogs?, and the Young Artists Awards Program.
Some highlights of the Friday, Sept. 3 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Exhibit featuring Polish Olympic artist Wojciech Zablocki (watercolors); a performance by members of the Southwest Florida Symphony and a USA Gymnastics Team exhibit with works by 15 different Olympians including Bob Beamon, Florence Griffith Joyner, Cameron Myer and others.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Reception for new landscape art show.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit featuring artists Scott Guelcher, Eileen Magrath, and Andrew Miller. Halie Bolling, a finalist at the 2010 and 2008 Young Artists Awards competitions, will perform from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Cafe Matisse: Exhibit and demonstration by artist Tom McNabb.
- Coloring The World: Opening of new exhibit showcasing artist Maria Andreaus.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for show featuring artwork of Piper Rudich.
- Enjewel: Featured artist is Cheryl Dillon (wire-wrapped cabochons).
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). New Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- HOWL Gallery: Micromentalists exhibit: The show will feature work by founding members Patrick Welch, Bill Drummond, Steve Keene, Paul Nudd, James Peterson, and Eric Doeringer.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: Opening of Forgotten Moments featuring the paintings of artist Will George.
- SKS PhotoShoot Studio: Opening of Naturally Scene (digital screening and prints and canvas) featuring wildlife and landscape photography of John Yuccas and portraiture of SKS PhotoShoot.
- Space 39: Group art show.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The September after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening will be the weekly Friday Night Live which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Sista Sanjah (reggae) will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Now, Art Walk has its own shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and Enjewel on First Street.
Spend a total of $100 or more during the event at participating stores and/or galleries and receive a free Art Walk t-shirt, while supplies last. Present receipts to claim shirt at IberiaBank, that night only.
The seasonal Saturday Art Fair will return in the fall.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.