The Monthly Art Walk will be Friday, Oct. 1, from 6 to 10 p.m. The October Art Walk will include more than a dozen art stops and will feature new art shows, live music, street performers, and the traditional after party.
Then on Oct. 2, look for the seasonal return of the Saturday Art Fair in the Patio de Leon from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring nearly two dozen local artists.
October 1 was officially proclaimed Fort Myers Art Walk Day by Mayor Henderson.
Some highlights of the Friday, Oct. 1 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: The museum welcomes the Southwest Florida Symphony to the Al Oerter Center for Excellence for the October Art Walk for a special presentation. The Cultural Experience Gallery will feature works by Polish Olympian artist and renowned architect Wojciech Zablocki. A Taste of Gymnastics will be on display in Sport Experience Gallery.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Reception for Cele-BRA-tion exhibit. Angela Maglione, one of the winners of the 2010 Young Artists Awards program, will be performing from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit featuring artists Renzos Avila, Xavier Portilla and Maria Pia Malerba. Halie Bolling, a finalist at the 2010 and 2008 Young Artists Awards competitions, will perform from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Coloring The World: Opening of exhibit showcasing artist Sandy Pond.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for show featuring abstract pop art of Franck de Las Mercedes.
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). New Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- HOWL Gallery: Art of Chris Lacoste - Chris is a local high school senior and this is his first solo show. Chris's large scale and brightly colored ink illustrations showcase a talent beyond his years.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: Rocktober featuring live music of TJ Kelly Band, The Grand Band and California artist Rob Grad (NOW exhibit).
- Space 39: Exhibit showcasing contemporary artist Ab Hernandez.
Nearly 40 participants make Art Walk happen and they include the Alliance for the Arts, Art League of Fort Myers, Art of the Olympians, Arts for ACT Gallery and Boutique, Browtopia, Caf Matisse, Cigar Bar, Coloring The World, Conch Sweet Corner Caf, daas Gallery, Delicious Things, Digital Data Destruction, Downtown House of Pizza, Enjewel, First United Methodist Church, Florida Repertory Theatre, Fort Myers Redevelopment Agency, French Connection, Hampton Inn & Suites, Happenings A&E Magazine, Hideaway Sports Bar, Hotel Indigo, HOWL Gallery, Ichiban Japanese & Chinese Restaurant, IberiaBank, Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites, Market America Realty & Investments, Morgan House Restaurant, The Oasis Luxury Condos, Potomac Bead Company, Red Rock Saloon, River District Alliance, Rossy Fashion Accessories, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Select Transportation, SKS PhotoShoot, Space 39 Gallery, Spirits of Bacchus, Starbucks Coffee, Twisted Vine Bistro, The Veranda Restaurant, What's Up Dogs?, and the Young Artists Awards Program.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 pm., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The October after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening will be the weekly Friday Night Live which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Grits & Gravy will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Now, Art Walk has its own shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
Spend a total of $100 or more during the event at participating stores and/or galleries and receive a free Art Walk t-shirt, while supplies last. Present receipts to claim shirt at IberiaBank, that night only.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and Enjewel on First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.