Art Walk will kick off a very artful weekend in the downtown Fort Myers River District in February.
Friday, Feb. 4 marks the next Art Walk, which boasts the addition of another new gallery downtown.
The monthly downtown event will showcase new art exhibits and include art in the Patio de Leon featuring 25 artist vendors.
Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Friday of each month. The February Art Walk will include more than a dozen art stops and feature new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party. The February Art Walk welcomes another new gallery downtown. Lisa Boucher has opened Green-n-Groovy, a gallery and boutique, on First Street, just east of Hendry Street. This newest business marks the 11th art gallery space in the downtown and third new art gallery in three months.
Because the first weekend in February is ArtFest Fort Myers downtown, the traditional Saturday Art Fair will not take place at its normal time. Instead, those artist vendors will be showcased in the Patio de Leon on Friday night during Art Walk.
The annual ArtFest Fort Myers takes place Saturday and Sunday mainly on Edwards Drive along the Caloosahatchee River, but will also occupy some space on Hendry Street. ArtFest will also have a special preview of artists on Friday, Feb. 4, during Art Walk.
Some highlights of the Friday, Feb. 4 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Opening of a 30-year retrospective of Passion on Paper by Olympian Artist, Dr. Liston Bochette III, a locally-based Olympian.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening of new show entitled Feb Fest.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit showcasing new works by Pavol Roskovensky. Additionally, the gallery will feature Young Artists Awards artwork by children with cancer. A vocalist from the Young Artists Awards will also be performing.
- Coloring The World: Celebrates its first year anniversary. Featured artists will be Stephen Gray-Blancett, Raven Lamoreux- Dodd, Sandy Pond, Lee Susdorf and Mac Worthington.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Passion exhibit by artist Ray Hernandez.
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps, and brochures.
- Green-n-Groovy: Featuring whimsical garden art sculptures by artist Marcos Carrera.
- HOWL Gallery/Tattoo: Opening reception for Modern Wood, featuring the avant-garde sculpture of New York and Fort Myers based artist David Hatchett. Exhibit partially funded by a City of Fort Myers 2010 Arts & Culture Grant.
- In One Instant: Featuring the photographic work of Michael John Andersen.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: In Making History exhibit, a series of portraits revealing people that Fort Myers history makers say influenced them most.
- Space 39 Gallery: Group show featuring local, national, and international artists.
More than 40 participants make Art Walk successful each month and they include the Alliance for the Arts, Art League of Fort Myers, Art of the Olympians, Arts for ACT Gallery and Boutique, Browtopia, Caf Matisse, Cigar Bar, Coloring The World, Cool Hand Luc's, daas Gallery, Delicious Things, Digital Data Destruction, Downtown House of Pizza, Enjewel, First United Methodist Church, Florida Repertory Theatre, Fort Myers Redevelopment Agency, French Connection, Green-n-Groovy, Hampton Inn & Suites, Happenings A&E Magazine, Hideaway Sports Bar, Hotel Indigo, HOWL Gallery/Tattoo, Ichiban Japanese & Chinese Restaurant, IberiaBank, In One Instant, Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites, Market America Realty & Investments, Morgan House Restaurant, The Oasis Luxury Condos, Potomac Bead Company, Red Rock Saloon, Renaissance Creativity Center, River District Alliance, Rossy Fashion Accessories, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Select Transportation, SKS PhotoShoot, Space 39 Gallery, Spirits of Bacchus, Starbucks Coffee, Syzygy Gallery, Twisted Vine Bistro, The Veranda Restaurant, What's Up Dogs?, and the Young Artists Awards Program.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party beginning at 10 p.m. The February after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. John Mooney (slide guitar and vocals) will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, will be available that evening.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.