Local art galleries and art stops will feature new exhibits and shows during the March Art Walk.
Downtown Fort Myers will host the next Art Walk on Friday, March 4.
The monthly Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Fridays. The March Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will feature new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party. It will be followed by the expanded Saturday Art Fair on March 5. The March Art Walk welcomes new members Mad Hatter Galleries, Main Street Antiques, Lovegrove Gallery, and The Franklin Shops.
Increasing in participation, the seasonal Saturday Art Fair has outgrown the Patio de Leon and has expanded to nearby Dean Street (between First and Bay). The art fair has expanded its hours to 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and now features 25 local artist vendors.
Some highlights of the Friday, March 4 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Exhibit featuring sculptures by Olympian artist Larry Young.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening of member show entitled The World Around Us.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit showcasing artists Lennie Jones (Folk Art Blues), Lisa Freidus and William Hofer
- Coloring The World: Featured guest artist is Barbara Chloe Murdoch (watercolors).
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Matters exhibit, new artwork by David Acevedo.
- Gallery Showcase and Visitor Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- HOWL Gallery/Tattoo: Opening reception for the Vibrant Arts Movement touring exhibit. Featuring art by Ronnie Ford, David Acevedo, Marcello, and Jonathan Jay Lee. Live music by the Vibrant Arts Band.
- In One Instant: Figures in Action exhibit featuring photographer Stephen Hayford.
- Lovegrove Gallery at Franklin Shops: Artist Leoma Lovegrove will be painting live.
- Mad Hatter Galleries at Franklin Shops: Grand opening celebration with artwork by Lia Martino and Drew Nussbaum.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: 13 Sculptors exhibit showcasing FGCU student artists.
- Space 39 Gallery: Group show featuring artists Lily Hatchett, Ray Hernandez, and Dean Coon.
- Syzygy Gallery: Exhibit featuring large-format art by Christina Jarmolinski.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The March after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street. Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Grits & Gravy will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and Enjewel on First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.