Downtown Fort Myers will host the next Art Walk on Friday, April 1. As usual, local art galleries and art stops will feature new exhibits and shows during April’s Art Walk.
The monthly Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Fridays. The April Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will feature new art shows, live music and the traditional after party. It will be followed by the expanded Saturday Art Fair on April 2. Growing in participation, the seasonal Saturday Art Fair has outgrown the Patio de Leon and has expanded to nearby Dean Street (between First and Bay). The art fair has expanded its hours to 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and now features 25 local artist vendors. This will be the final Saturday art fair of this season, but it will return in the fall.
Some highlights of the Friday, April 1 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Shutter Speed exhibit photography by Olympian artist Cameron Myler.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening of photography show.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit showcasing artists John Anthony Kraley, Marie Cahill, and Roy Rodriquez
- Coloring The World: Featured guest artist is Doug MacGregor (cartoonist).
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Things exhibit, new artwork by Scott Guelcher.
- Enjewel: Grand re-opening at new location (2266 First Street).
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- Green-n-Groovy: Artist Lorrie Bennett will paint/illustrate live.
- HOWL Gallery/Tattoo: Opening reception Galaxies United exhibit featuring works by Lucasfilm artists Stephen Hayford and Robert Hendrickson. The evening will also feature the HOWL Gallery 2 year anniversary raffle benefiting ARC Animal Shelter.
- In One Instant: New exhibit featuring blues author and photographer George Mitchell.
- Lovegrove Gallery at Franklin Shops: Artist Leoma Lovegrove will be painting live.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: AmERICa exhibit showcasing artist Eric Riemenschneider.
- Space 39 Gallery: Group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Exhibit featuring art by Christina Jarmolinski, Rob de Koter and Tibetan jewelry art.
Nearly 50 participants make Art Walk successful each month and they include the Alliance for the Arts, AmeriDry, Art League of Fort Myers, Art of the Olympians, Arts for ACT Gallery and Boutique, Browtopia, Café Matisse, Cigar Bar, Coloring The World, Cool Hand Luc’s, daas Gallery, Downtown House of Pizza, Enjewel, First United Methodist Church, Florida Repertory Theatre, Fort Myers Redevelopment Agency, The Franklin Shops, French Connection, Green-n-Groovy, Hampton Inn & Suites, Happenings A&E Magazine, Hideaway Sports Bar, Hotel Indigo, HOWL Gallery/Tattoo, Ichiban Japanese & Chinese Restaurant, IberiaBank, In One Instant, Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites, Lovegrove Gallery at Franklin Shops, Mad Hatter Galleries at Franklin Shops, Main Street Antiques, Market America Realty & Investments, Morgan House Restaurant, The Oasis Luxury Condos, Potomac Bead Company, Red Rock Saloon, Renaissance Creativity Center, River District Alliance, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Select Transportation, SKS PhotoShoot, Space 39 Gallery, Spirits of Bacchus, Starbucks Coffee, Syzygy Gallery, Twisted Vine Bistro, The Veranda Restaurant, What’s Up Dogs?, and the Young Artists Awards Program.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 pm., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The April after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Memphis 56 will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector’s item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.
FOR EVENT INFORMATION CALL 1-855-RDA-EVENTS.