Just in time for Mother’s Day, Downtown Fort Myers will host the next Art Walk on Friday, May 6. As usual, local art galleries and art stops will feature new exhibits and shows during May’s Art Walk offering great last-minute gift ideas for Mother’s Day.
The monthly Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Fridays. The May 6 Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will feature new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party. The May after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street. In addition, that night is the annual Relay for Life in Centennial Park and the opening of a new play at the Florida Repertory Theatre.
Some highlights of the Friday, May 6 Art Walk:
- Alliance for the Arts: Opening reception for Poked in the Mind’s Eye: The Humorous Perspective of Doug MacGregor (5-7 p.m.)
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening of Anything Goes exhibit.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new exhibit by artists Fernando, Lynne Reinas, and Lisa Gould. Young Artists Awards students Jordan Pilant and Kayla Fischl will perform from 7 - 9 p.m.
- Coloring The World: Heeee’s Back exhibit featuring new works by artist Stephen Gray-Blancett.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Marriage exhibit showcasing artists Danielle and Troy Thomas.
- Florida Repertory Theatre: Opening night for The Devil’s Music: The Life and Blues of Bessie Smith (plays through May 22)
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps, and brochures.
- Green-n-Groovy: Artist Kelly Morrison will design and create lampwork bead jewelry live.
- HOWL Gallery: Opening reception for Rock Inventory Show featuring limited edition rock concert posters by some of the most renowned modern rock poster artists like Todd Slater, Derek Hess, Aesthetic Apparatus, Print Mafia, Bob Masse, Clint Wilson, Frank Kozik, and others.
- In One Instant: New exhibit (Through the Viewfinder: A True Story) featuring artist Rachael Scott.
- Ivy Cottage Antiques & Treasures: Artists Caroline Dooling (painted antique furniture) and Christina Ormaza (handmade vintage and upcycled jewelry)
- Leoma Lovegrove: Artist Leoma Lovegrove will be painting live.
- Mad Hatter Galleries: Spring Showings exhibit with a farewell tribute to Elizabeth Taylor by artist Drew Nussbaum.
- Relay for Life: Art by Kids with Cancer exhibit.
- Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center: A Painter’s Allegory exhibit showcasing artist Marcus Jansen.
- Space 39 Gallery: New group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Exhibit featuring collages and 3D works by artist Lisa Freidus, music by Terry Lynn
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District.
The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The May after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Grits & Gravy will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector’s item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com.