To the Editor:
I have written the following open letter to U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (chairman of the House Budget Committee and member of the House Ways and Means Committee) and hope that other voters will contact him with constructive alternatives for budget cuts besides killing Medicare. Voters please write to Rep. Paul Ryan, U.S. House of Representatives, 1233 Longworth House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515 or Twitter reppaulryan.
“Some 522 dead. From Massachusetts to Missouri, from Montana to Texas, we have had a path of deadly tornadoes and massive destruction. So how do your ideas about deficit reduction fit into a pattern that is completely uncontrolled by legislators or the President? Mother Nature has a big part to play in the 2011-2012 budget. Mother Nature is one factor that cannot be controlled. I know you think you can legislate behavioral changes in spending but Mother Nature has the last word. Wake up and manage what you can.
“Florida has just had a legislative session that was “slash and burn” on Medicaid reform among other hardships, including massive job cuts and cuts in services to the people. Results of this session have produced an approval rating for the legislature and Governor Scott of 27 percent. The disapproval rating of both is 57 percent.
“Now the Ryan proposals are more of the same in the name of deficit reduction. Rep. Ryan, my question is why not try the following first for the next two years:
(1) Eliminate fraud and waste
(2) Eliminate duplication of services
(3) Eliminate oil industry subsidies and drive gas prices down
(4) All-out job growth incentives at every level of government and private industry
(5) Let Medicare negotiate pharmaceutical prices
(6) Tax Code revisions
• Credits to bring back overseas jobs and plants
• Penalties on every job outsourced
• Credits to hire someone who is now unemployed
• Full employment incentives to create jobs at all skill levels
• Tax all corporations with a mailbox in the Cayman Islands to avoid U.S. taxes while doing business in the U.S.
“Representative Ryan you have already had a warning from we-known and well respected economists that your “slash and burn” tactics will be harmful to the 2011 recovery. Yet you go on. Why? Please consider some less drastic cuts. You too are running for re-election.”