The July 1 Art Walk will start a patriotic and festive weekend in Downtown Fort Myers. As usual, local art galleries and art stops will feature new exhibits and shows during July’s Art Walk.
Then on Monday, July 4, the River District Alliance will put on the Fort Myers Freedom Fest with live music, family entertainment and fireworks. It all starts at 2 p.m.
The monthly Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Fridays. The July Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will feature new art shows, live music and the traditional after party.
Some highlights of the Friday, July 1 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Steering Strokes exhibit featuring art of Olympian artist John Stillings. Vocalists Lorena Vargas and Sam Bostic from Young Artists Awards program will be performing from 7-9 p.m.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening of Sizzling Summer exhibit.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new group show exhibits “Out of My Mind” and “Think Inside the Box.”
- Coloring The World: Featuring the art of Stephen Gray-Blancett, pottery by Sandy Pond and art jewelry by Raven Lamoreux-Dodd.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Skin 2011: a collective exhibit (mature audiences only).
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- Harborside Event Center (Community Showcase): Legends and Traditions Art Show.
- HOWL Gallery: Opening reception for third annual group show: SWFL Lives! Featuring the very best Southwest Florida artists. Vote for your favorite artist during opening reception.
- In One Instant: Christmas in July sale.
- Leoma Lovegrove: Painting of giant canvas with names of people who lost their lives on 9/11.
- The Oasis Condominiums: Exhibit featuring Rhonda Long with her new collection of the jazz, along with the work of Marie Jeanlius, presenting the joy of Caribbean art.
- Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center: Opening of Island Time exhibit featuring four artists from the Key Largo Art Gallery.
- Space 39 Gallery: New group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Tropicana exhibit featuring art by artist Christina Jarmolinski.
Nearly 50 participants make Art Walk successful each month.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The July after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Memphis 56 will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector’s item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries.
Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com'>www.fortmyersartwalk.com.