The first weekend of August will be busy with two major art events in downtown Fort Myers.
The monthly Art Walk kicks off the weekend on Friday, Aug. 5, with local art galleries and art stops featuring new exhibits and shows.
Then on Saturday, Aug. 6, the annual Arts for ACT Fine Art Auction will be held at the Harborside Event Center. Reception for this year's auction, Graffiti Night, starts at 5:30 p.m. with the live auction beginning at 7 p.m.
Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Friday of every month. The August Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and feature new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party.
Some highlights of the Friday, Aug. 5 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Opening for Table Tennis exhibition. Vocalists Dana Alvarez and Loren Vargas of the Young Artists Awards program will be performing.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening for Longer Days exhibit.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new show featuring artists Callie Ferraro, Harley Young, and Gael Collar.
- Coloring The World: Opening reception for singer, songwriter, and fine artist Bobby Goldsboro. - daas Gallery: Opening reception for a collection of three artists: First Sights on the 10th by Xavier Brignoni, Rewound by Samantha Churchhill, and Urban Flash by Troy Thomas.
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps, and brochures.
- Harborside Event Center: Preview of annual Arts for ACT Auction.
- HOWL Gallery: Opening reception for a new exhibit by gallery co-owner Andy Howl, featuring original tattoo-inspired fine art pieces.
- In One Instant: NAMASTE: A Photographic Interpretation of Yoga Practice featuring the photography of Marian Krauthamer.
- Leoma Lovegrove Gallery at Franklin Shops: Painting of giant canvas with names of people who lost their lives on 9/11.
- Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center: Opening for No Negatives exhibit featuring artist Bradford Shaw Hermann.
- Space 39 Gallery: Group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Spiritual and religious art by Christina Jarmolinski.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The August after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series, which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Screamin' & Cryin' will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black).
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event.
For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries, and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.