Art Walk will jump start an active Labor Day weekend in downtown Fort Myers.
The next monthly Art Walk will be held Friday, Sept. 2 with local art galleries and art stops featuring new exhibits and shows.
Then on Sunday, Sept. 4, the River District Alliance will host a Labor Day Weekend Block Party featuring live music on three stages. Those festivities begin at 6 p.m.
The monthly Art Walk runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on the first Friday of every month. The September Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will include new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party.
In October, Art Walk will celebrate its third anniversary. This monthly cultural event draws between 1,500 and 2,500 people each month.
Some highlights of the Friday, Sept. 2 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Table Tennis opening reception and exhibition match featuring former US Open & Florida State Champion Marvelous Marvin Leff. Also, "21" featuring original works by 21 international Olympian artists. Vocalists Callie Atkinson, Sarah Daigle, and Jordan Pilant, winners of the 2011 Young Artists Awards competition, perform from 7-9 p.m.
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening reception for Time of Transition exhibit.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new show featuring artists Philip Heubeck, Sam Brough, and Annie St. Martin.
- Coloring The World: Opening reception for visiting featured artist Scott Guelcher.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Unfair: The Art of Alex Heria.
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- The Franklin Shops: Artwork on display by one of America's greatest wildlife illustrators, John James Audubon.
- HOWL Gallery: Opening reception for a new exhibit featuring the fine art of Ohio based rock concert poster icon Derek Hess.
- In One Instant: Opening of Snap Flash Photo: Photography Portfolio of David Dack Maki.
- Leoma Lovegrove: "America America" showcases Lovegrove's patriotic spirit and brilliant colors. Percentage of sales benefits local NYPD 10/13 in tribute to the fallen of the 9-11 attacks on America ten years ago.
- Sidney & Berne Dais Art Center: Opening for master artist Stacie Krupa's "Sassy Spicy Soulmates - Seahorses, Sea Turtles & Salty, Socialite Friends."
- Space 39 Gallery: Group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Spiritual and religious art by Christina Jarmolinski.
Nearly 50 participants make Art Walk successful each month.
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The September after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Sista Sanjah (reggae) will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
In October, look for the return of the seasonal Saturday Art Fair along the sidewalks of downtown. This will be the third year for the monthly Saturday Art Fair which runs October through April. This year, the art fair is a juried event. To find out more about the Saturday Art Fair, contact Claudia Goode at 239-337-5050.
A map of Art Walk, transportation, and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.