The first weekend of November will see new art exhibits and an expanded art fair in downtown Fort Myers.
The next monthly Art Walk will take place on Friday, Nov. 4, with local art galleries and art stops featuring new exhibits and shows. This regular cultural event draws between 1,500 and 2,500 people each month to the downtown River District.
On Saturday, Nov. 5, the organizers of Art Walk present the seasonal Saturday Art Fair. A new twist this year is the art fair is now a juried event and showcases individual artists at tables along the sidewalks of First Street. The Saturday Art Fair runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is free to attend. Thirty-seven artists and art vendors are scheduled to be at November's Saturday Art Fair.
The monthly Art Walk is held on the first Friday of every month runs from 6 to 10 p.m. The November Art Walk will include more than a dozen art galleries and art stops and will feature new art shows, live music, and the traditional after party.
Some highlights of the Friday, Nov. 4 Art Walk:
- Art of the Olympians: Opening of its newest exhibition, Legends of '68, featuring artwork from four dynamic USA Olympians from the 1968 Olympic Games (Rink Babka, Bob Beamon, Peggy Fleming, and Al Oerter).
- Art League of Fort Myers: Opening reception for Welcome Back exhibit.
- Arts for ACT Gallery: Opening reception for new show featuring artists Mark Cranford, Cindy Jane, and Heidi Schmitz.
- Coloring The World: The gallery welcomes local high school student and cartoonist Shelby Nawalaniec as their guest artist.
- daas Gallery: Opening reception for Artifacts of the Black Rain: The Art of Tony "Chainsaw" Myles.
- Gallery Showcase and Information Center at IberiaBank (Bayview Court at First Street). Art Walk T-shirts are available at this location as well as buttons, maps and brochures.
- HOWL Gallery/Tattoo: Opening reception for Modern Tiki exhibit by Miami pop/lowbrow artist N! Satterfield.
- In One Instant: Opening of Beauty Everywhere: The Photography of Bettina Edwards.
- Market America Realty & Investments: Courtyard reception for exhibit by artist Doug Heslep called A Stunning Perspective Fine Art Nudes.
- Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center: Opening of Edison State College Art Show, 8 on Eighteen.
- Savvy on First: Featuring artists Kyra Jachode and Tracy Theriault, fiber arts, fine jewelry, jewelry holders & more.
- Space 39 Gallery: Group art show.
- Syzygy Gallery: Opening for exhibit featuring artist Zaki.
Nearly 50 participants make Art Walk successful each month and they include the Alliance for the Arts, AmeriDry, Art League of Fort Myers, Art of the Olympians, Arts for ACT Gallery and Boutique, Browtopia, Cigar Bar, Coloring The World, Cool Hand Luc's, daas Gallery, Downtown House of Pizza, Enjewel, First United Methodist Church, Florida Repertory Theatre, Fort Myers Redevelopment Agency, The Franklin Shops, French Connection Cafe, Hampton Inn & Suites, Happenings A&E Magazine, Hideaway Sports Bar, Hotel Indigo, HOWL Gallery/Tattoo, Ichiban Japanese & Chinese Restaurant, IberiaBank, In One Instant Gallery of Photography, Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites, Leoma Lovegrove Gallery, Mad Hatter Galleries, Main Street Antiques, Market America Realty & Investments, Morgan House Restaurant, The Oasis Linen Cottage, Lush Bakery, Luxury Condos, Potomac Bead Company, Red Door Studio, Red Rock Saloon, River District Alliance, Rock Lake Resort, Savvy on First, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Select Transportation, Space 39 Gallery, Spirits of Bacchus, Syzygy Gallery, Twisted Vine Bistro, United Caf, Bar & Bistro, The Veranda Restaurant, What's Up Dogs?, Yanos Restaurant, and the Young Artists Awards Program. ?
Held the first Friday of every month from 6 to 10 pm., Art Walk features local and national artwork in the downtown art galleries and several art stops in the Fort Myers River District. The evening culminates with an after party at 10 p.m. The November after party will be held at Spirits of Bacchus on Hendry Street.
Another highlight of the very popular evening is the weekly Friday Night Live free concert series which takes place in the Patio de Leon. Memphis 56 will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
Always a collector's item, new Art Walk buttons will be available at galleries that night. Art Walk has its own T-shirt (in red or black). Shirts are available for a $12 donation at the IberiaBank gallery showcase during Art Walk.
A free shuttle service courtesy of Select Transportation Inc., with stops planned near the art venues, and parking at the Harborside Event Center will be available for Art Walk patrons. Shuttle stops include The Oasis Condominiums, Art of the Olympians, and the Patio de Leon entrance at First Street.
A map of Art Walk, showing transportation and parking will be distributed by participating galleries. Art Walk is a rain or shine event. Art Walk was started by a group of art galleries and art enthusiasts and debuted in October of 2008. Art Walk is a River District Alliance event. For more information on Art Walk, participating galleries and links to gallery websites, visit www.fortmyersartwalk.com.