This is the first of several columns on favorite recipes that readers can try at home. They are the creations of Chef Delroy Ferron, owner of Delrose Place eatery in Lehigh Acres.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Chef Delroy Ferron
Use a good cooking apple such as a Jonagold, Fuji, or Pink Lady (not Red Delicious). You can easily cut this recipe in half, for a quick meal for two people.
2 pork tenderloins
2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into slivers
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup of all-purpose seasoning
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup of chicken or beef broth
1 cup dry white wine (can sub with apple brandy or apple cider)
2 medium sized apples, peeled, cored, and slice
2 whole carrots and one stick of celery
1. Preheat oven to325 F. with a sharp knife cut the tenderloin from one end to the next down the center (butterfly style) season the tenderloin with all-purpose season inside and outside then stuff with some of the apple, carrot, garlic, celery tie with chef cord.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high heat and sear the tenderloin well on all sides (about 10 minutes).
3 Remove the tenderloins from the skillet (do not discard the juices in the skillet) and place in a roasting pan. Add the broth and white wine to the roasting pan. Cook in the oven at 325F for 10 minutes.
4. After you've placed the tenderloins in the oven, cook the apple slices in the same skillet (with the remaining oil and juices) that you used to brown the tenderloin. Saut until soft. Remove the apples from the pan, set them aside, saving the juices once again in the pan.
5. After the tenderloins have cooked in the oven for 20 minutes remove them from the oven. Remove the tenderloins from the pan to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. The tenderloins will continue to cook while they sit. While the pork is resting, pour the roasting pan juices into the skillet and boil everything on high heat for 5 minutes, or until you get a gravy the consistency of melted ice cream.
6. Slice the tenderloins into 1/4 inch thick slices, add the sliced apples to the meat in the serving dish, drizzle some gravy over and serve immediately.