Lehigh Acres voters retained incumbent members both on the East County Water Control District and the Lehigh Acres Fire Control and Rescue District in the Nov. 6 general election, according to numbers from the Supervisor of Elections with 99.21 percent of the precincts reporting. This represents 125 of 126 precincts in Lee County.
However, the two boards will see three new people: one on the water control district and two on the Lehigh Fire Board.
Two incumbents, David Adams and Larry Becker, retained their seats on the fire board and Larry Becker and David Adams retained their seats on the fire board. One seat on the fire board was vacant due to the death of Kevin Shea and had not been filled until the election.
Linda Carter, a member on the fire board, was not up for re-election this year.
The new members of the 2012-2013 fire board include Cathy Kruse with 10,817 votes and Jacqueline Y. Danis with 11,701 votes. Danis defeated Ralph Hemingway, who lost his seat two years ago, and who had served on the board in previous years. The new board became legal on Nov. 16, 10 days after the election. The new fire board will be sworn into office at a meeting later this month by Board Attorney Richard Pringle. Jeff Berndt, the chairman of the board did not seek reelection.
The new board will face difficult problems in solving worsening economic conditions in the fire department. The new board also must select a new chief to run the department. Chief Don Adams retired just days before the election.
J. Nathan Stout, the long-time member of the East County Water Control District, was the highest vote getter with 12,476 votes in last Tuesday's election in Lehigh, retaining his seat against a challenge from Edd Weiner, who received 6,040 votes.
Three seats were open on the ECWCD and the winners in addition to Stout, Seat 5, were Michael J. Welch, Seat 1, the current chairman of the board with 7,921 votes, and newcomer Kenneth K. Thompson, Seat 3, with 7,676 votes. Those whose seats did not come up for election this year included David Deetscreek and Mike Bonacolta.
The unofficial numbers provided by the Supervisor of Elections Office were:
- Neal Horrom, 4,467 votes.
- Dewey A. Tyler, 5,593 votes.
- Michael J. Welch, 7,921. (winner)
- Frank T. La Rosa, 5,932 votes.
- Kenneth Thompson, 7,676. (winner)
- Joseph L. Whalen, 4,388 votes.
- Nathan Stout, 12,476. (winner)
- Edward "Edd" Terry Weiner, 6,040.
Lehigh Acres Fire Control, Rescue District
- Robert G. Hewitt, 7,823 votes.
- Cathy Kruse, 10,817 votes. (winner)
- Larry Becker, 5,675 votes. (winner)
- Ronald L. Krome, 5,582 votes.
- William E. Liedtke, 4,048 votes.
- Rob Robbins, 2,719 votes.
- David Adams, 9,020 votes. (winner)
- Brandon C. Morris, 8,594 votes.
- Jacqueline Y. Danis, 11,701 votes. (winner)
- Ralph Hemingway Jr., 6,263 votes.
All votes are unofficial until they are certified by the Supervisor of Elections. The numbers for the two Lehigh boards are not expected to change.