Rotary welcomes new member
The Rotary Club of Lehigh Acres recently welcomed Harald Loidl as its newest member to the Rotary family. Loidl is the club manager at the Mirror Lakes Golf Club.
Beta Sigma Phi to meet
Beta Sigma Phi, Laureate Delta Xi will meet at Linda Temple's residence today, Jan. 9. Officers meet at 7:15 p.m.; members meet at 7:30 p.m.
Visiting Betas can contact Jan at (239) 694-9624.
Florida Native Plant Society sets speakers
The Coccoloba Chapter, Florida Native Plant Society meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Rutenberg Park Eco-Living Center in Fort Myers. Social time and information corner start at 6:30 p.m. There is no fee to attend. Guest speakers and topics will be:
- Jan. 10: Stephen Brown, Lee County's Extension director and horticulture program lead agent, on "Some Pests of Native Plants."
- Feb. 14: Judy Ott, of the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program, on the use of Florida native plants in Southwest Florida restoration projects.
- March 14: Doug Caldwell, of the Collier County Extension Office, on the non-native spiraling white fly and other bugs that may impact native plants.
For information, visit online: www.fnpscoccoloba.org.
Southwest Florida Symphony plans tribute
The Southwest Florida Symphony will present a tribute to the arranging genius of Nelson Riddle with "Let's Face the Music and Dance" at 8 p.m. Jan. 11-12 at Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall. Guest conductor is Michael Berkowitz, with Lisanne Lyons as vocalist.
Minnesota Twins to hold baseball youth clinics
The Minnesota Twins is planning free youth clinics from January through February.
The clinics provide quality hands-on instruction for boys and girls ages 5-13 and younger children who are accompanied by an adult. Children will learn basic fundamentals including hitting, fielding and throwing, while also hearing positive messages about staying in school and staying away from drugs and alcohol.
No registration is required.
Clinics will be held:
- Jan. 12 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Minnesota Twins/Lee County Sports Complex, at 14110 Six Mile Cypress, Fort Myers. For information, call Brian Maloney at 823-6450.
- Jan. 19 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Fort Myers Little League, Sam Fleishman Regional Sports Park, at 1750 Matthew Drive, Fort Myers. For information, call Kevin Kyle at 560-6763.
- Jan. 26 from 10 a.m. to noon at Buckingham Little League, at 9800 Buckingham Road. For information, call Scott Peckham at 464-8266.
- Jan. 26 from 1-3 p.m. at Lehigh Little League, at 1400 W. 5th St., Lehigh Acres. For information, call Tonya at 462-8167.
Lee County Community Band to perform
The Lee County Community Band will perform Jan. 13, Feb. 10, March 10 and April 7 at Cape Coral High School, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd. The events are free of charge, though donations are accepted.
Band members are musicians from all walks of life - career musicians, amateurs and folks renewing skills from years past - who reside in Lee, Collier, and Charlotte counties. The band rehearses from 7-9 p.m. Thursdays at St. Michael's Lutheran School in Fort Myers; new members are welcome.
For more information, visit: www.leecountyband.org or contact Norman Jones at 995-2097.
Winter course set for pilot ground school
The private pilot ground school will hold its winter course from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 15 through May 7, at Ida S. Baker High School and from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Jan. 17 through May 9, at Cypress Lake High School.
The cost is $135 plus text. The course is 45 hours long total. For information, call Ed Fink at (239) 489-0443.
Fraud seminars for seniors
The Lee County Sheriff's Office will host a "Learn to Fight Fraud" seminar, followed by a question and answer session on:
- Jan. 24: Grace Community Church, at 4151 Hancock Bridge Parkway, North Fort Myers, from 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Jan. 30: St. Columbkille Catholic Church, at 12171 Iona Road, Fort Myers, from 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Feb. 6: St. Leo Catholic Church, at 28290 Beaumont Road, Bonita Springs, from 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Feb. 14: Christ United Methodist Church, at 1430 Homestead Road N., from 9:30-11:30 a.m.
The seminar covers frauds and scams affecting seniors and their families; how seniors can recognize and report frauds and scams; and how to detect, protect and report health care fraud and abuse.
For information or to RSVP, call the LCSO at 477-1037.
Annual craft show seeking vendors
The Alva Community Center is looking for craft vendors for the Craft Show, which will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 2 at the Alva Community Park, at 21471 North River Road in Alva.
Spaces are available for a nominal fee of $10. Tables, tents and chairs are not provided. There is no admission for the public to attend.
For information or to be a vendor, contact Sandra Bates at 728-2882 or BatesSW@leegov.com.