For many students, the dream of continuing their education past high school would not be possible if not for financial aid.
There are ways students may obtain the financial help they need to make their college or university dreams a reality.
To help, Lee County public schools, with the assistance of Hodges University, will host several financial aid nights.
The events will be held from 7-9 p.m. as follows:
- Jan. 17: Lehigh Senior High School auditorium, at 901 Gunnery Road
- Jan. 22: Cape Coral High School auditorium, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd., Cape Coral
Financial aid nights
- Jan. 17: Lehigh Senior High School auditorium, at 901 Gunnery Road, from 7-9 p.m.
- Jan. 22: Cape Coral High School auditorium, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd., Cape Coral, from 7-9 p.m.
- Jan 24: Dunbar High School auditorium, at 3800 E. Edison Ave., Fort Myers, from 7-9 p.m.
Source: Lee County Public Schools
- Jan 24: Dunbar High School auditorium, at 3800 E. Edison Ave., Fort Myers
While the events are scheduled in all three attendance zones, parents are not required to attend the event in the zone where their child attends school - they may attend whichever event is convenient for them.
Those attending the meetings will learn about the FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, form and steps they need to take to help their children receive financial aid from postsecondary institutions like colleges, community colleges and high tech centers.
Representatives from Hodges will cover the definition of financial aid, how to apply, deadlines, step-by-step instructions for completing the FAFSA, Bright Futures and state aid versus federal aid, and more.
The financial aid process can be very intimidating for many and the workshops help to demystify the procedure for parents and students.