Join the Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and the Kohl's Kids Safety Program for a free pool safety party from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 16 at the Lehigh Acres Pool, at 1400 West Fifth St.
"In the state of Florida, we lose the equivalent of three classrooms of preschoolers to drowning each year," Michele King, director of the Child Advocacy Program at The Children's Hospital, said. "We must keep our children safe with layers of protection and constant adult supervision when they are in or near water."
Drowning is the leading cause of death for children under 5 in Florida. Some safety tips are:
- Never leave a child unattended in a pool or spa and always watch your child when he or she is in or near water.
- Teach children basic water safety tips.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments.
- Have a telephone close by when you or your family is using a pool or spa.
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first.
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors.
Free admission and drinks.
For more information, call Kohl's Kids Safety Program at (239) 343-5224.