A sobriety checkpoint was conducted in Lee County on Sunshine Boulevard and 11th Street Southwest. All vehicles traveling north and south on Sunshine were checked.
The following are the results of the activity that began at 10 p.m. Friday and ended at 1 a.m. Saturday:
- DUI arrests: 2
- Driving while license suspended: 1
- No valid drivers license: 2
- Citations issued: 19
- Number of vehicles passing through checkpoint: 504
The primary emphasis for checkpoints is to:
- Remove impaired drivers from the roadway
- Reduce the likelihood impaired drivers will operate their vehicles on our roadways
- Heighten public awareness
- Educate the public on the dangers of drunk driving.
The checkpoint involved members of the Lee County Sheriff's Office.