Spring is here and the weather is warming up fast just in time for the 2013 Lehigh Acres Relay for Life which starts at 2 p.m. on April 6 at Veterans Park Academy for the Arts on Homestead Rd., next to the park.
Andy Reisinger is chairman of the Relay for Life which is a happy event open to all with free admittance.
It's an overnight event of walkers to raise money to find a cure of cancer.
It starts April 6 at 2 and continues through April 7 ending at 8 a.m.
The opening lap is a Survivor Lap at 2 p.m.
Entertainment is provided all day long at no cost., A ceremony is set for around 9 a.m. and a Miss Relay will be selected at 10 a.m.
Lehigh Acres Relay for Life
April 6 at 2 p.m. until April 7 at 8 a.m.
Veterans Park Academy for the Artson Homestead Road
To raise money for the American Cancer Society
"Relay for Life is an 18-hour overnight event. We will have entertainment from 2 p.m. on.
"Our theme this year is 'Make Cancer History,'" Carey said.
So far, the following teams have been formed. Others can still form and collect donations from well-wishers.
The teams, the captains and how much money they have raised, as according to the group's website are included here:
- Lehigh Regional Peace Walkers, Andrea Shields and six team members, $7,311.
- Ron's Angels Darla J Stuart, 10 team members, $4,722.
- Brush Man Mr. Frank E. Szalai, three team members, $3,564.90.
- Golden Girls, Delores A James, five team members, $1,656.
- Lucky Stars Lisa Dodd, four team members, $1,192.65.
- Troop 11 Jeffrey Dodd, four team members, $175.
- Committee For A Cure Andy Reisinger, one team member, no report.
- East Lee County Interact Club, Rick Lagowski, 17 team members, no report.
So far, according to their website, eight teams and 65 participants have raised $18,896.55.
You can still donate to any team and you can still show up to walk and join any team or bring your own. The rule is that someone from your team must be walking during the whole Relay for Life program.