Lee?County high schools to host open houses
In preparation for the Student Assignment enrollment period, Lee County high schools will host open houses so parents and students can explore the campuses before they choose a school for ninth grade.
Open houses in the area include:
- Lehigh Senior High School: Jan. 15 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Riverdale High School: Jan. 13 at 6:30 p.m.
East Lee County High School hosted its open house on Dec. 10.
The application period for the Student Assignment process opens Jan. 21 and runs through March 28.
Parents and students are encouraged to visit schools in their subzones before ranking their school choices on their applications.
Each year, students entering kindergarten, sixth grade and ninth grade participate in the Student Assignment process by ranking their school choices.
Open house dates for the middle schools will be released at a later date.
More information on Student Assignment will be released in January.
Enrollment opens at Wild Winter Arts Camps
Florida Rep and the Alliance for the Arts is now enrolling for the Wild Winter Arts Camps for students ages 5-17.
The two-day camps run Dec 23 through Jan 3 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alliance for the Arts, at 10091 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers. Drop-off begins at 8:30 a.m., and pick-up is from 4 to 4:15 p.m.
The following camps are available:
- Session 1 (Dec. 23-24): Clown Town is focused on mime and physical storytelling and features costume building where students will create their own clown wardrobe.
- Session 2 (Dec. 26-27): Music Theatre Mania is a music theatre intensive. Learn the moves and notes to Broadway's classic numbers and dive into theatre painting techniques used by scenic artists.
- Session 3 (Dec. 30-31): Ka-Pow will help students find their inner superhero, or villain. Explore comic book storyboarding and artistry and work on scenes and songs from classic comic book stories.
- Session 4 (Jan. 2-3): Think Outside the Box incorporates scenes, songs, artwork and dance to create a unique theatrical experience. Imagination, improv games and a little guidance from instructors will help students find the artist, actor and choreographer in them.
In each session, students will work with professional performing and visual artists.
Classes include music, dance, drama and visual art where campers get a taste of the world of professional arts and still have plenty of time for fun.
Enrollment is $80 per session. Post-camp care is available until 5 p.m. for an additional $5 per day.
To enroll for a camp, visit Florida Rep's Education Department online at: www.FloridaRepEducation.org or call (239) 332-4665 ext. 36.