To the editor:
On Friday May 2, some 41 Republican senators voted against increasing the minimum wage to an hourly rate of $10.10. ($404 weekly). Lehigh Acres has many workers that could have benefitted from this increase. Many work low-rate, no benefit jobs.
* If these workers made more, it follows that they could spend more; ultimately helping other businesses in Lehigh.
* Their school children would not be saving their lunch food for others at home.
* Even at the $404 weekly wage, it is an impossible budget to provide a living.
* 25 percent of the budget for food with prices going up, up, up!
* 25 percent housing
* 50 percent for doctors, drugs, car insurance, shoes, clothing, expensive childcare, and gas also going up, up, up.
* We have a challenge to raise the wages of the middle class, but the minimum wage of the working poor must be elevated to a livable wage NOW.
I would ask these 41 senators which include Florida Sen. Marco Rubio: "What is the percentage of working people living in poverty in their states."
Do they not feel obligated to help their own? Do they not feel obligated to represent all the people in their state? It is really just the right thing to do.