Sponsored by Lehigh Regional Medical Center, the Lehigh Acres Senior Citizens Center features the following in August:
- Aug. 7 at 11:30 p.m. Madrid Casino Day. No cash needed to play. Prizes will be awarded to the top three with the most poker chips. Steak and onions, rice and beans dinner for $4.00 for members only. Must sign up a week in advance. Don't miss the fun.
- Aug. 8 at 1:30 p.m. Live band and dance with Tina and Barry. Refreshments provided. Nonmembers are welcome. $4.00 for members and $5.00 for nonmembers.
- Aug. 11 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch. Greystone Home Health will speak on the benefits of exercise. Free for members but must sign up a week in advance.
- Aug. 13 at 11:30 a.m. Hot Dog Day. Hot dog, chips and a soda for $2.00. You must be a member and sign up in advance
- Aug. 14 at 9 a.m. Drs. Breakfast. Dr. Irving, Radiologist will speak about imaging. Free breakfast provided by LRMC. Must sign up in advance.
- Aug. 15 at 1:30-3:45 p.m. Multicultural Dance. Bring a treat from your nationality. (Free)
- Aug. 21 at 9 a.m. Diabetic Support Group. Breakfast provided free by Lehigh Regional Medical Center.
- Aug. 22 at 1:30 p.m. Game Day. Bring a game and a treat to share. Have fun playing games with everyone.
- Aug. 25 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch-Captel, Inc. will speak about telephones that type what your caller speaks for people with hearing problems. Free for members who sign up in advance.
- Aug. 26 at 10:30 a.m. Meet-N-Eat. Carpool to Two Meatballs in a Kitchen. You must sign up in advance.
- Aug. 28 at 9 a.m. Clean up day & lunch. Must be able to work and must sign up in advance.
- Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. we have Bingo with large jack pots. Nonmembers are welcome.
- Mon-Fri at 9-11 a.m. Free Blood Pressure checks for members.
- Mondays at 10:30 a.m. Meet with the social club and plan events for the weekends.
Physically active classes are line dancing, exercise classes including Zumba, Tai Chi, Yoga, Dance X, chair dancing, walking, bocce, shuffleboard, simulated bowling, dances, corn hole, ballroom dancing, ping pong and billiards.
Creative classes are creative writing, photography class, guitar, discussion group, book club, public speaking class, Swedish weaving, tatting, Spanish class, needlework-many types, punch needle, woodcarving, stain glass, plastic art craft, sewing for beginners and advanced, pine needle baskets, art (all mediums), make a teddy bear class, craft class, beading and quilting.
Multiple card games such as Pinochle, Bridge, Cribbage, Hand and Foot and Sheepshead are played weekly.
Beginners and intermediate computer classes followed by a computer art and Microsoft Word class.
Join the Entertainment group and perform skits and sing. The social group plans activities and trips for the weekends. Learn Spanish in our new Spanish class.
The Tops weight loss group and Nutrition for Healthy Living class will help you balance your diet. The travel desk has many trips planned.
Join the center for $20 a year or $35 for two in the same household and enjoy the Lee County pool on Williams for an extra $10 a year. It will cost $2 a day for nonmembers for the center.
Special events have other requirements; please inquire at the main desk. Please feel free to check us out on our website: www.lehighacresseniorcitizenscenter.com.
Lehigh Acres Senior Citizens Center is at 219 Plaza Drive.