The Lehigh Acres community will celebrate its first "Make A Difference" event at Veteran's Park, 55 Homestead Road, Lehigh Acres on Friday, Oct. 27 from noon to 5 p.m. There will be food, music, and other festivities as participating organizations showcase their efforts to give back to the community.
Some of the participants and their events are as follows:
- A "Love the Children Drive" in partnership with the Lee County School District and Westminster Golf and Country Club will collect toiletries to distribute to our local homeless youth.
- The Lehigh Acres Community Council will create and distribute a Resource / Informational guide for new and existing residents so they will be informed of the in's and out's around Lehigh Acres
- The Kiwanis Club will be providing a "Hay Ride Around the Park" for kids. They will also be sponsoring events to raise funds for the local pool so they can provide new pool equipment and life vests. Their first event was held 9/3/12 at Kiwanis Thrift Store 15 Homestead Rd. Lehigh Acres Fl. 33936 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Local youth organizations will host several "Carwashes for Canned Goods and Donations" to help support the Lehigh Acres Community Services food pantry and to provide cash assistance for those struggling to pay their rent or electric bills
- The East Lee County Regional Library and Friends of the Library will be collecting books for youth to host a book exchange so local youth can receive books at the celebration event. To donate visit the Library at 881 Gunnery Rd. Lehigh Acres Fl. 33971
- Boy Scout Troop #720 will work on rehabilitating the grounds of a local church, work on an Eagle project at the Veteran's Park "Remembrance" area for local fallen military members, paint the home of an elderly friend to the scouts, assist in a Lehigh Acres Community Initiative beautification project and cook hot dogs at the event
- Lehigh Acres Community Initiative along with local business owners and residents will participate in a Business District Clean Up and Beautification to improve the overall appearance of the business district.
- Social Service providers will be on hand to distribute educational materials on a variety of subjects in an effort to "Lift Up Lehigh." These include assistance for residents in need, food distribution, job readiness, medical treatment options for low income individuals and basic medical screening.
- The Lee Memorial Blood Mobile will be on hand for blood donations
- The American Red Cross will be teaching the public and youth how to prepare for a natural disaster. There will also be a special visit from Scrubby the Bear
- The Lee County Sheriff's Office VOICE volunteers will be fingerprinting children for parents.
- A Lee County Sheriff's Office Crime Prevention Specialist will educate residents on unique ways to protect themselves and their homes from crime and to discuss forming Neighborhood Watch Groups.
- The Lee County Sheriff's Office Agricultural Unit will have their Swamp Buggy on display along with their Mounted Patrol horses
- Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers will be distributing materials explaining how to report crimes anonymously and collect cash rewards
- A "kid friendly area" will be set up with bounce houses and old fashioned games sponsored by "My Cheap Party Rentals" and "The Boys and Girls Clubs of Lee County."
- Lee County Parks and Recreation will host a costume contest and trick or treating at the park to provide a safe and fun atmosphere for children in the community.
"This is a community approach to making the greatest impact possible to assist with revitalizing our community on so many levels. If you are interested in participating or have a passion we haven't covered please don't wait a second longer to call 239-477-1485. This is our chance for change, help and make a difference," said Lee County Sheriff's Sgt. Stephanie Eller.