To the editor:
- 80 women representatives in the U.S. House
- 20 women senators in the U.S. Senate
- 6 women governors in Arizona, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Washington
- 3 U.S. Supreme Court Justices: Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan
- 1 woman as Cabinet Secretary: Sebelius of Health & Human Services.
- A woman named Head of the Secret Service: Julia Pierson, Secret Service Agent since 1983
- A woman as Head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC): U.S. Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz
- A woman named Head of the Florida Democratic Party (FDP): Democratic Fundraiser Allison Tant
We have also had four wonderful years, 2009-2013, of service by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. At present she is polling higher than any male or female, any
Democrat or Republican, for the 2016 presidential race.
And in Florida politics we have:
- 28 women representatives in the Florida House
- 12 women senators in the Florida Senate
Meanwhile in Lee County politics there are:
- 1 woman (3 men) in the Florida House
- 1 woman (1 man) in the Florida Senate
In Lee County we had a break in the glass ceiling in Cape Coral when Marni Sawicki, an independent, got elected mayor of the city in 2013.
Since 1982, when Lee County got US House District 13 and later got U.S. House District 14 and since 2012 when we got U.S. house District 19, we have never had a woman candidate for any of these races. In this male dominated district wouldn't it be great to send a woman to Washington?
April Freeman is the Democratic candidate for US House District 19 and it's up to the women in that district to make this happen. Demographics show this is possible with at least 51 percent of the district being women.
Let's send someone to congress to represent the will of the people, not someone who is in the pocket of so many lobbyists and big money with those buying their way into office.
Please join us at the polls on June 14 through June 21 for early voting and on Election Day June 24 to show that we the women can make this happen.